Rural Outreach Education
“Fostering Postsecondary Employment, Apprentice, Internship, and Higher Education Opportunities for Rural Kansas and Oklahoma”
The Rural Outreach Education Program focuses its efforts upon the improvement of the education of the students of rural and small schools in Kansas, NE Oklahoma, and the regional area served by Independence Community College. This project is made possible by funding of the Department of Education through the Rural Postsecondary Economic & Development Grant awarded to ICC in 2021.
What We Do
- Increase area enrollment and bring awareness to programs offered by ICC that would lead students to high-skill, high-wage, and in-demand occupations
- Develop and Implement data to build evidence-based strategies to promote various educational opportunities
- Provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for success in high-need occupations
- Career training that leads to successful jobs in the fields relevant to the regional economy
- Raise awareness and access to paid internships, fellowships, apprenticeships, and job opportunities
Meet the Team
Oversees support services including advising and tutoring in which aid in academic success, personal well-being, and financial planning to meet educational and training goals. Aids in curriculum development for Canvas Studio and encourages faculty to utilize this and other distance learning technology to service rural students. Collaborates with SEK KansasWorks and area industry to arrange internships, apprenticeships, and employment opportunities for rural students.
Conducts workshops/activities/guest speakers to rural communities, advises and through collaboration with area partners, connects students to various career pathways, including internships, apprenticeships, and higher education. Provides advisement regarding enrollment, transfer, financial assistance, and other opportunities for student matriculating to college.
Provides specialized tutoring services while in high school as well as for those enrolled in postsecondary programs.
Develops relationships with rural school administrators, student services specialists, instructors, and rural students themselves to engage and publicize prospective options.
Contact Tamara Blaes, Rural Postsecondary & Economic Development Grant Director at email@example.com
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.