General Education Learning Outcomes
An education prepares a student both for life and for making a living. It blends the practical application of knowledge with the pursuit of knowledge for its own sake. When successful, education balances the sometimes contradictory claims of social service and individual ambition.
A good general education fosters freedom's values and nurtures individual growth. It lays the foundation for further learning in a discipline or vacation, provides the tools to navigate change, and prepares one for lifelong learning.
The purpose of general education at ICC is to shape the development of students according to these values. Students fulfill general education requirements at Independence Community College by demonstrating competency in the following:
- Arts and Humanities: The student will be able to appreciate and understand the arts and the humanities.
- Civic Responsibility: The student will be able to develop a civic identity that promotes the quality of life in a community.
- Communication: The student will be able to communicate effectively.
- Computer Literacy: the student will be able to demonstrate proficiency in a variety of digital technologies.
- Information Literacy: The student will be able to locate, evaluate, and use information.
- Quantitative and Scientific Reasoning: The student will be able to use processes, procedures, data, or evidence to solve problems.
- Social and Behavioral Sciences: The student will be able to apply knowledge about people to solve problems.
General Education outcomes assessment identifies student learning outcomes that need to be improved across the institution and identify courses that could be modified to improve student learning outcomes performance. ICC Faculty determine outcomes of courses offered and map them to the appropriate General Education Outcomes.
From Faculty Handbook for Student Learning Outcomes Assessment
General Education Assessment Reports
2016 General Education Curriculum Map Coming soon!
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.