Student Support Services
Encourages development of student success inside the classroom and in life through customized, individualized services and supports. These services are delivered in person or through virtual appointments. Contact your Student Support Services coach today!
- Academic coach reviews transcripts and grades to assist students in planning for future coursework based on educational goals and transfer plans.
- Students' undecided about their major can Complete Career Clusters Interest Survey, O *NET Interest Profiler and/or O *NET Work Importance Locator and discuss the results with their coach.
- Students work with their academic coach to compare assessment results with degrees offered at ICC (Independence Community College) and transfer schools.
- Assist students in answering the question, “What can I do with this degree?”
- Help students bridge the gap between degree options and intended careers.
- Assist students in understanding the education requirements of the field and creating an educational plan (including transferring and choosing a major at a four-year school).
- Assist students in understanding the cost of the required education for their field.
- Assist students in determining job outlook for their occupation both nationally and regionally.
- Students can brush up on interview skills by interviewing with SSS (Student Support Services) and ICC staff.
- Mock interviews address a variety of formats that students may need practice with, including group interviews and online interviewing.
- The mock interview is customized based on student interest to a specific career field or interview type. Specific feedback is provided to the student after the interview.
- Assist students with the development of a professional resume.
- Assist students with customizing existing resumes for specific applications.
- Assist students with identifying, highlighting transferable skills, and existing experience. This is particularly useful for students applying for their first “real” job.
- Assist students with developing cover letters for specific applications.
Student Support Services supports ICC students in all aspects of transitioning to a baccalaureate degree program including school selection, application processes, securing financial aid, and connecting with advising resources on their next campus. This process starts with the creation of a 3-year plan to assist the student as they navigate ICC and transfer and enroll in their next school.
- Students often have a confusing mix of priorities (i.e., geographical location, cost, student life, academic programs, and job placement) when selecting their next institution. Student Support Services assists students in identifying their priorities for their next step and applying them to the selection of their preferred schools.
- Assist students in completing applications for their preferred schools including the review of application essays.
- Assist students with application fee waivers for participating schools.
- Students are often surprised by university financial aid deadlines that are much earlier than those at 2-year institutions. Academic coaches assist students in planning for those deadlines so that they do not miss important aid opportunities.
- Assist with FAFSA completion
- Assist with scholarship applications and essays.
- Understanding additional fees and costs associate with housing, meal plans and other institutional fees.
- Students assume that the hard work is done once they submit their application. However, for many students, the work is just beginning. Academic coaches assist students in understanding departmental admissions requirements within the university setting.
- Academic coaches also assist students with connecting to resources on their next campus including advising, academic supports, disability services and community-based supports.
Academic coaches assist students in understanding the impact of financial decisions made during college. These decisions include paying for college, understanding loans, basic banking, and budgeting.
Academic coaches assist students in understanding the options available to them for funding their education.
- Federal financial aid in the form of grants and loans.
- Federal and local loan forgiveness programs.
- School and community-based scholarships.
Academic coaches provide students with information regarding the different types of loans (i.e., student loans, private loans, auto loans, home loans, pay day loans and credit cards) as well as basic information on building credit and budgeting. Please note that the information is provided for educational purposes only and is not meant to be construed as personal financial advice.
Academic coaches provide students with basic assistance and support in locating scholarships within their college and surrounding communities.
- Assistance locating and navigating scholarship application procedures.
- Review of scholarship materials and essays.
- Student Support Services scholarship at ICC. Current SSS participants can apply for one of five $1000 scholarships; contact your SSS academic coach for additional details.
Events & Trips
Student Support Services provides ICC students with the opportunity to engage in a variety of cultural and educational activities.
- Welcome Week
- Living Room Conversations
- National First-Generation College Celebration
- National TRIO Day
- Transfer Visits
- Cultural Events
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.